Monday, November 17, 2008

Blogger's Content Policy

As I read over Blogger's content policy, one phrase got me thinking. It says that one cannot publish anything on your blog that promotes hate against any person or group, including on the basis of sexual orientation.

Now, I'm not a proponent of a gay or lesbian lifestyle. I don't believe that God makes anyone homosexual or bisexual or anything like that, and I believe that people can overcome those tendencies, just like people can overcome tendencies towards anger, rampant sexuality, or drug abuse.

However, it's one thing to disapprove of someone's lifestyle or choices. It's something else to restrict those choices by law. And it's another matter entirely to hate someone because of those choices, because they've given in to a very powerful feeling.

So, I decided I thoroughly approve of Blogger's content restriction. Hatred towards someone because of their lifestyle will not help them change. It will only spawn more hatred, leading to war, misery, and everything else that makes this world dreary sometimes.

So, be nice! And mean it. You don't have to hang out with someone if you don't want to be like them. But give them a smile and a handshake. Give someone a high five and a compliment. Why not?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen! I hate hatred, unless it is the hatred of hatred.